Sunday, February 24, 2013

Practice 3 done. Next: Parts of the game

Our second practice went pretty well, considering the fact that I had the kids standing still more than I'd like. It was necessary this time, because I had to get them spread out on the field in the various positions that we were trying out. We just did some little things to get the idea in their heads that they are going to find themselves in each of these field positions at one time or another.

Most of them already had some experience with some positions. Some were not familiar with the "midfielder" position. That's one reason I'm using the 3-2-2 formation in our games -- so they get to experience three fundamental field positions: forward, midfielder, and defender.  The goalkeeper position is also fundamental, but that's the one position I won't force any particular player to try if they don't want to (partly because it'll be hard enough to give playing time to those who do want to be goalies; and partly because it's scary for some kids at this age to get in front of a strongly kicked goal shot).

At the next practice, I'm hoping to put them through the paces of some of the basic parts of the game, so they won't be confused about what to do during the first game.  I know most of them have played soccer before.  But, they still might not know what exactly they should be doing -- or at least won't know what I want them to do -- unless we go over it at practice.

Here are the parts of the game I'm referring to:
  • kickoff by us 
    • midfielders go wide; kick a long diagonal ball for the midfielders to pursue
  • kickoff by the other team
    • midfielders and defenders block the center lane and get the ball 
  • goal kicks by us
    • place ball at center of goal box line; kick to a teammate at wide left or right
  • goal kicks by the other team
    • "mark up" and get the ball 
  • corner kicks by us
    • defender kicks; forwards at goal; midfielders back slightly
  • corner kicks by the other team
    • everyone marks up and defends the goal
  • throw-ins by us
    • throw it forward, down the sideline (a teammate should be running this route)
  • throw-ins by the other team
    • mark up and get the ball; watch for the run down the sideline

In later practices, we may move beyond the simple tactics noted above. I probably won't get through all of those in one practice. If I do, I certainly won't have time to teach them any one situation in depth. But, I'd like them to have at least some introduction to some of these scenarios before the first game. Whatever we do will have to carry us through FOUR games, actually, because we'll have games on Thursday, Saturday, Tuesday, and Thursday, before our next practice on Tuesday, March 12.

Given this unusual schedule, I'll have to think of some way to keep the kids learning over that span. If you can watch some of the YouTube videos that I suggest, with your kids, and talk about them, that would be a BIG help. Here's a YouTube video that teaches one of my favorite concepts. This technique is critical to strong defensive play:

Nice explanation of my favorite defensive tactic. Always have a second defender!

I'll also try to give them pointers before and after games. Maybe I'll offer a practice right after the Saturday game. But, that's asking a lot of everyone. Let me know your suggestions and thoughts.

Penalty kicks are also important to understand, but those don't happen as often and, because they can happen anywhere on the field, I'm willing to just let the players figure out what they want to do in these situations -- at least for now.


No comments:

Post a Comment