Saturday, March 2, 2013

Game 2: post-game report

We didn't have a chance to practice between the first and second games, but I gave the kids some pointers in the pre-game minutes and they mostly followed my directions concerning kick-offs, goal kicks, and throw-ins. But, it was a lot for 7- and 8-year-olds to grasp purely from our pre-game talk (even with my cool illustrations).  When they did what I had suggested, it mostly worked. 

It was another tough opponent, with at least three really talented kids who had been on my previous YMCA team, in the summer, before my one-season departure to another league.  When I saw my former players, I thought our team would get blown away by a score of 5 or 6 to nothing.  As it turned out, our team did twice as well as I expected.

I tried to rotate the players through multiple positions again.  Overall, I think the kids learned a bit just from the natural course of playing, and they mostly seemed to have fun. So, I say it was a success.

No comments:

Post a Comment